Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 18784: regressions - trouble: broken/fail/pass

>>> On 28.08.13 at 10:17, xen.org <ian.jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> flight 18784 xen-unstable real [real]
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~xensrcts/logs/18784/
>
> Regressions :-(
>
> Tests which did not succeed and are blocking,
> including tests which could not be run:
>  test-amd64-amd64-xl           5 xen-boot                  fail REGR. vs.
> 18778
>  test-amd64-amd64-pv           5 xen-boot                  fail REGR. vs.
> 18778
>  test-amd64-amd64-xl-qemuu-win7-amd64  5 xen-boot          fail REGR. vs.
> 18778
>  test-amd64-amd64-pair         7 xen-boot/src_host         fail REGR. vs.
> 18778
>  test-amd64-i386-xend-winxpsp3 15 guest-destroy            fail REGR. vs.
> 18778
>  test-amd64-i386-xend-qemut-winxpsp3  3 host-install(3)  broken REGR. vs.
> 18778
>
> Regressions which are regarded as allowable (not blocking):
>  test-amd64-amd64-xl-sedf-pin  5 xen-boot                  fail REGR. vs.
> 18778
>  test-amd64-amd64-xl-sedf      5 xen-boot                  fail REGR. vs.
> 18778
>  test-amd64-amd64-pair         8 xen-boot/dst_host            fail   like
> 18770

At first I thought this ought to be a regression from either or both
of 850188e1 and d838ac25 ("x86: don't allow Dom0 access to the
MSI/HT address range"; those at least seem the most likely
candidates to cause an early Dom0 death), but checking
test-amd64-amd64-xl-win7-amd64 the same kernel (afaict) boots
fine there. The MSI change clearly isn't machine specific; the HT
one of course gets used on AMD systems only (and indeed the
failures are all on either of the two frogs, which are AMD
systems, but iirc they're not the only ones - Ian?).

Ian - I further wonder whether it wouldn't be good to always
have "earlyprintk=xen" on the kernel command lines of the test
infrastructure, to have better chances of investigating issues
like this.

And in any case the question of course is whether a failure with
this old a Dom0 kernel really counts as a regression. It needs to
be considered whether re-opening the latent problem these two
changes address (and the HT one much more so than the MSI
one, where from the above it looks like the MSI one isn't causing
problems) is really better than rendering very old Dom0 kernels
unusable.

Jan