Re: [Xen-devel] xend deprecation

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 08:29:07AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-09-03 at 23:06 -0700, Matt Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > This already works by using xl on the source side, e.g. a guest started
> > > with xend on 4.1 can be migrated with 4.1's xl to 4.2.
> > >
> > > http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-08/msg02191.html
> >
> > xl doesn't run everywhere that we need it to.
>
> Details please, or we aren't going to be able to even think about how to
> solve this for you.
>
> BTW You can also do a xend migration to e.g. 4.2 (using the xend whichis
> in 4.2) and the use 4.2's xl to do a localhost migrate or a second
> remote migrate to another 4.2 system.
>
> xend's deprecation has been on the cards, and widely known, for several
> releases now. It is time to quit stalling and start moving. I intend to
> post a patch deleting it as soon as 4.4 is out the door.

And I think I might have to lobby hard against removing it.

There are issues that are stopping us from using it:

 - No status in xl list -l when only dom0 is present.
 - 'xl list -l' says 'Domain name must be specified' even though the '-l'
   is for 'Output all VM details'
 - xl list -l for PV guest has bug: itâs not formated S-expression text.
 - No console in xl list -l, so can't get  tty console port.
 - xl uses SSH for migration. We need SSL daemon or socat like xend has.

Those should be fixed at some point :-) Problem is that other things
keep on popping up on the radar and hence we end up using xend.

CC-ing Zhigang here as he might have a more up-to-date list. I think
there were some statistics too, but I can't recall.

> Of course you are also free to pick up xend maintenance if you really
> want to keep it alive. We could for example move it out of tree. And by
> "We" I mean "You and those others who are interested in continuing with
> xend".

Hahahah. I think we all want to move away but there are things that are
stopping us and we would like them to magically get fixed. And I also
want a pony. With a barrel of guinness attached to it.