Re: [Xen-devel] Suggestion for merging xl save/restore/migrate/migrate-receive

On 09/16/2013 06:41 PM, Zhigang Wang wrote:
On 09/16/2013 12:20 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
Zhigang Wang writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Suggestion for merging xl
save/restore/migrate/migrate-receive"):
---- xl-migrate.rst ----
* Current xl migrate command is not intuitive, especially the `-s` option::

       # xl migrate
       Usage: xl [-v] migrate [options] <Domain> <host>

       Save a domain state to restore later.

       -h              Print this help.
       -C <config>     Send <config> instead of config file from creation.
       -s <sshcommand> Use <sshcommand> instead of ssh.  String will be passed
                       to sh. If empty, run <host> instead of ssh <host> xl
                       migrate-receive [-d -e]
       -e              Do not wait in the background (on <host>) for the death
                       of the domain.

   It's a little hard to adapt other tools as transport.

Perhaps the documentation needs to be improved.  But you can just say
    xl migrate -s '' 42 'nc remotehost 1234'
and in the receiving host's inetd.conf:
    1234 stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/xl xl migrate-receive
(NB I haven't tested this).  If you want better logging then use a
better superserver than inetd.

* We have differnt implementation for `xl save/restore` and
   `xl migrate/migrate-receive`. Can we merge them?

I'm afraid not.  The migration protocol includes a confirmation that
the receiver is ready, to try to reduce the chance that a failed
migration ends up killing the domain.

Proposal
========

* Implement dedicated daemons for ssl and non-ssl migration receive
   (`socat <http://www.dest-unreach.org/socat/>`_ can be used).

   Example patch for dedicated migrate receive daemon:
   xen-xl-migrate-socat.patch

I think a one-line change to inetd.conf is probably better.  Your
script is very complicated (and still throws away the error messages
from xl migrate-receive rather than logging them).

As for the encrypted version: ssl has pretty awful security
properties, at least by default, which you need to work around.  For
example, the default usually involves the X.509 root certificate
oligopoly, and doesn't provide forward secrecy.  If you need
encryption, ssh has a much better security model.

If you don't need encryption and authentication then default mode of
use for xl is rather heavyweight and you might want to use a simple
unencrypted unauthenticated TCP session as I describe above.

* In order to migrate a VM without user interactive, we have to configure ssh
   keys for all Servers in a pool. Key management brings complexity.

Surely your automated server deployment system can manage this ?

Yes, we can.

keys are states; we need to make sure they are always sync. Also after this,
all Servers in a pool can login to each other. I don't know whether it's
a security issue for our product.

This is something we try to avoid at this time.

...so instead of allowing anyone on one of the hosts log in, you're going to allow anyone with access to the network to create a VM without any kind of authentication?

From a security perspective, that doesn't really sound like an improvement...

 -George