Re: [Xen-devel] large packet support in netfront driver and guest network throughput

  • To: annie li <annie.li@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Anirban Chakraborty <abchak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 21:06:57 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Cc: Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 21:07:26 +0000

On Sep 17, 2013, at 7:28 PM, annie li <annie.li@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2013-9-18 1:53, Anirban Chakraborty wrote:

>>> I think Anirban's setup is different. The traffic is from a DomU on
>>> another host.
>>>
>>> I will need to setup testing environment with 10G link to test this.
>>>
>>> Anirban, can you share your setup, especially DomU kernel version, are
>>> you using upstream kernel in DomU?
>> Sure..
>> I have two hosts, say h1 and h2 running XenServer 6.1.
>> h1 running Centos 6.4, 64bit kernel, say guest1 and h2 running identical
>> guest, guest2.
>>
>> iperf server is running on guest1 with iperf client connecting from guest2.
>>
>> I haven't tried with upstream kernel yet. However, what I found out is
>> that the netback on the receiving host is transmitting GSO segments to the
>> guest (guest1), but the packets are segmented at the netfront interface.
>
> Did you try the guests on same host in your environment?

Yes, I did and it showed up 5.66 Gbps as opposed to 2.6-2.8Gbps.

>> Annie's setup has both the guests running on the same host, in which case
>> packets are looped back.
>
> If guests does not segment packets for same host case, it should not do
> segment for different host case. For current upstream, Netback->netfront
> mechanism does not treat differently for these two cases.

For the two guests (Centos 6.4, 2.6.32.-358) on the same host, the receiving
guest indeed receives large packet, while this is not true if the receiving
guest is on a different host. Since both the vifs are connected to the same
linux bridge and hence packets passed between them are forwarded without
hitting the wire. This explains the higher throughput. However, I would still
expect segmented packet at the receiving guest, but certainly that is not what
I am seeing.

Anirban