Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.4 development update

>>> On 20.09.13 at 18:04, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 20/09/13 16:57, Olaf Hering wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 16, George Dunlap wrote:
>>
>>> * xend still in tree
>>>   - xl list -l on a dom0-only system
>>>   - xl list -l doesn't contain tty console port
>>>   - Alternate transport support for migration
>> libxl has no pvscsi support. This is listed as "SCSI LUN/Host
>> passthrough (PVSCSI)" in the page below.
>

>> Is PVUSB already handled by libxl?
>>
>> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XL_vs_Xend_Feature_Comparison
>
> Are you personally using PVSCSI, and/or pvusb, and/or do you know any
> large downstreams and/or user bases that depend on them?

We certainly have customers using pvSCSI (for some I perhaps
should say "would like to", as so far they can't due to limitations
of the protocol).

> There was never any intention of making xl have every single feature of
> xend; only the features that people cared enough about to argue for /
> implement themselves. The list above was generated from a recent
> discussion of why Oracle and Amazon object to removing xend at this
> time.  If these is an important feature to you, the time to say
> something about it was 1 year ago.

I'm pretty certain the question of both pvSCSI and pvUSB not
being there in xl was raised before.

And no, I don't agree with your initial statement. The outcome of
the most recent community call was "make all regressions of xl vs
xm a blocker for 4.4". Of course I don't read this to imply features
no-one uses, but I certainly read this to cover features that some
people use, even if they're not a majority.

And the use case for pvSCSI is pretty obvious: Without it, in order
to do e.g. a tape backup, you have to PCI-pass-through a whole
HBA to a guest instead of just the single SCSI tape device that
you need the guest to have access to.

Jan