[Xen-devel] Improve performance between Network driver domain to guest OS

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: shikha thakur <srthakur26@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 11:49:13 +0530
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 06:20:10 +0000

Hi all,
 I am Shikha Thakur pursuing post graduation from Pune University in  Computer Engineering.Recently, I started my research in Xen hypervisor for my curriculum project.I am enjoying working with Xen. Being newbie i want to get more familiar with Xen.

So, I request all please tell me that my idea for this research is valid or not?

Research Topic::
I am working on "Improving Network I/O virtualization of Xen for Cloud Computing."

Xen Hypervisor ::
 The driver domain based model of Xen for network I/O virtualization exhibits poor networking performance.Two Experiments are carried out and they are:-

1)Network Performance analysis has been carried out to analyze the virtualization over- head and analyze the baseline reception, transmission and forwarding performance of the VMs(shown in fig 1).

`Inline image 4

2)Experiment has carried out to find the hardware bottlenecks and it is observe that the memory latency is the problem for costly driver domain - virtual machine communication (shown in fig 2).

Inline image 3Solution::
  As Memory latency is the bottleneck,Can Packet aggregation be applied to overcome this?

I would be awaiting for the reply.

Many Thanks.