Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch 4/4] x86/hpet: Don't clear reserved bits in the General Configuration Register

>>> On 07.10.13 at 15:26, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It is a violation of the specification.
>
> The reserved bits in the General Configuration Register, unlike all other
> reserved bits I have found in the spec, are specified as 'must never be
> changed by the OS'.

Mind pointing out where exactly you found this? I only find the
usual "should not modify" statements, and it is really unclear
whether leaving the bits alone is more compatible than clearing
them (since a bit of unknown function being set may easily mean
the HPET behaves in a way we don't expect).

Jan