Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] Xen vm kernel crash in get_free_entries.

On 10/17/2013 12:55 PM, Astarta wrote:
On 10/16/2013 06:17 PM, Pasi KÃrkkÃinen wrote:
On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 02:29:07PM +0100, David Vrabel wrote:
On 16/10/13 07:28, Astarta wrote:
Hello,

This is a some kind of a follow up to the
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-09/msg03109.html (
Linux 3.11.1 HVM guest kernel crash when started with xl
(get_free_entries)).

Looks like we've here the similar issue.

Xen VM with 3.8.13 kernel crashes in get_free_entries (kernel BUG at
drivers/xen/grant-table.c:1181!), i.e in:
BUG_ON(grefs_per_grant_frame == 0);. 3.11.5 kernel behaves in exactly
the same way.

Whole kernel log is attached. It does not contain  any "Grant tables
using version" message.

Seems that gnttab_request_version() has was never executed, so
grefs_per_grant_frame was never set.

Could you please advice on this issue?
I think you're missing the platform pci device required for PVHVM.
What's your VM's xl.cfg?

Yes, exactly, I had "xen_platform_pci=0" in my VM's xl.cfg,
and I assume Astarta has aswell.

That is because I wanted to test *without* PVHVM, and that is a valid configuration imho..
(and works OK with xm/xend).

-- Pasi

Thanks for the suggestion, but there is no xl.cfg in /etc/xen/ (we're using Citrix XenServer Host 6.2.0-70446c
 on rhel 6.2), so there is no where to edit xen_platform_pci option.

I've attached output from xe vm-list params=all for one of the problem vm. Hope its also ok.

Also 3.6 kernel works well with that configuration. I can provide it's boot log if needed.

Please suggest.

--
Marina

will answer by myself. Setting platform:device_id to 1 manually helps the 3.11.5 kernel to boot.
I used xe command for this in the below way.
xe vm-param-set uuid=<VM UUID> platform:device_id=0001

The issue that platform:device_id is 0002 for citrix xen by default and the latest kernel doesnt boot in this configuration...

Where do we go from there?