Re: [Xen-devel] BUG: bad page map under Xen

On 10/21/2013 9:39 AM, konrad wilk wrote:

On 10/21/2013 9:18 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 21.10.13 at 14:59, konrad wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It is a bug in the drivers I believe. The issue is that the mapping
created for the second mmap
call is done without VM_IO and on an PFN that is RAM (and not the BAR).
So while putting together the reply that I had sent to Lukas a
minute ago I was actually hunting for that VM_IO -> _PAGE_IOMAP
translation, and wasn't able to find it anywhere. As you say it
nevertheless exists - what am I overlooking (and why would then
pci_mmap_page_range() nevertheless have to set _PAGE_IOMAP
by hand)?

The P2M (arch/x86/xen/p2m.c) is consulted which for the MMIO gaps and
E820_RESV has the MFNs set to the PFN. This is the 1-1 pfn/mfn stuff that I implemented some time ago - as hpa was opposed to having the _PAGE_IOMAP being stuck on any macro call to pgprot_writecombine|noncached|etc. Or perhaps that was on the arch_something_prot.

This is the one that Jeremy cooked up some time ago:
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1010.2/03012.html

And here was the thread:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg07085.html

which I thought had been fixed by the P2M identity code.

Anyhow, the odd thing is that looking at the code:

 669                 if (io_remap_pfn_range(vma, vma->vm_start,
 670 to_mucontext(context)->uar.pfn +
 671 dev->dev->caps.num_uars,
672 PAGE_SIZE, vma->vm_page_prot))

The PFN in question (uar.pfn) is in mlx4_uar_alloc is set to:

159 uar->pfn = (pci_resource_start(dev->pdev, 2) >> PAGE_SHIFT) + offset;

So is the BAR not in the MMIO region? Or is it the 64-bit type MMIO that lays outside the 4GB and
hence when the P2M is consulted it thinks its INVALID_P2M_ENTRY?

Which comes back to the bug you (Jan) discovered when you pointed out that PVH needs to setup MMIO entries for 64-bit MMIO regions which can be outside the 4GB region <sigh>. And that is something the pvops kernel completly ignores as it assumes that any region past the E820 can be used for ballooning.

Anyhow, one easy thing to figure out is to get the lspci -v output from the InfiniBand card to see where its BARs are, and also the start of the kernel. You should see an E820 map (please also boot with
"debug" on the Linux command line).

Jan