Re: [Xen-devel] EFI and multiboot2 devlopment work for Xen

On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 10:43 -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> And looking at bit deeper in the x86/linux boot spec:
>
> **** EFI HANDOVER PROTOCOL
>

> This protocol allows boot loaders to defer initialisation to the EFI
>
> boot stub. The boot loader is required to load the kernel/initrd(s)
>
> from the boot media and jump to the EFI handover protocol entry point
>
> which is hdr->handover_offset bytes from the beginning of
>
> startup_{32,64}.

Oh, ignore that. You want the *actual* PE executable entry point, as it
would get invoked by a real UEFI firmware.

I thought that's what Grub invoked, for 'linuxefi'. Perhaps I mean a
chainloader method of some kind instead. Either way, make Grub (or
whatever bootloader you choose) load it as an EFI executable.

Seriously, forget Grub for now. Grub is mostly just an exercise in
gratuitously doing things the difficult way and wondering why it's
fragile.

Make your code work as an EFI executable when loaded directly from the
UEFI firmware. Worry about the insanity of grub later.

--
                   Sent with MeeGo's ActiveSync support.

David.Woodhouse@xxxxxxxxx                              Intel Corporation