Re: [Xen-devel] Multiple platform PCI device ID registries?

On Wed, 2013-11-13 at 13:25 +0000, Paul Durrant wrote:
> [...]

Do you think you could do that? I'm clearly to confused to write
anything useful...

> > > No, it wasn't previously used in 6.1 because it's not really the same
> > > (as the pv device doesn't implement the fixed IO ports). I also don't
> > > want to confuse it with the platform device, for that reason. It is a
> > > new distinct and I agree that the fact it defaults to device ID is
> > > confusing although it's safe - I will therefore submit a patch to QEMU
> > > to modify it as I suggested before, so that the id *must* be specified
> > > by the toolstack.
> >
> > Ack.

> > > Well part of the problem is that we don't support use of PVonHVM linux
> > > in XenServer at all! The best thing is probably to tackle this on the
> > > XenServer forums if and when someone posts the problem there. Adding
> > > the extra blacklisting code to XenServer's QEMU and then getting that
> > > into a hotfix should hopefully avoid future problems too - although we
> > > may get 'why are my PV frontends not working?'-type questions.
> >
> > Ah, I see now why it is a XS side fix.

> > > Hmm. How about splitting out the fixed IO ports then? That way the
> > > platform device could be safely turned off if the PV device was
> > > present. It seems like a cleaner and safer thing to do.
> >
> > I thought when the PV device was added it was agreed that it would only
> > ever be as an extension to the platform device, not a replacement for
> > it.
> >
> > Otherwise you get into situations where cloud providers need to know
> > which to provide, whereas with a baseline platform device always there
> > things can try and work.
> >

> Yes, agreed, it is intended as an extra device but the fact that
> removing the *PCI* platform device from the VM disables the fixed IO
> ports is somewhat counter-intuitive so I was proposing that should be
> fixed. Then *if* someone had the PV device and removed the platform
> device any bound PV frontends would continue to function.

If someone removes the platform device then this should cause the PV
device to be removed or for configurations which specify PV but not
platform device to be rejected.

Ian.