Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.4 development update: Code freezing point reached

>>> On 19.11.13 at 15:40, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 06:19:46PM +0000, George Dunlap wrote:
>> The idea is that today we will be pretty permissive, but that we will
>> become progressively more conservative until the first RC, which is
>> scheduled for 3 weeks' time (6 December).  After that, we will only
>> accept bug fixes.
>>
>> Bug fixes can be checked in without a freeze exception throughout the
>> code freeze, unless the maintianer thinks they are particularly high
>> risk.  In later RC's, we may even begin rejecting bug fixes if the
>> broken functionality is small and the risk to other functionality is
>> high.
>>
>> Features which are currently marked "experimental" or do not at the
>> moment work at all cannot be broken really; so changes to code only
>> used by those features should be able to get a freeze exception
>> easily.  (Tianocore is something which would probably fall under
>> this.)
>>
>> Features which change or add new interfaces which will need to be
>> supported in a backwards-compatible way (for instance, vNUMA) will
>> need freeze exceptions to make sure that the interface itself has
>> enough time to be considered stable.
>>
>> These are guidelines and principles to give you an idea where we're
>> coming from; if you think there's a good reason why making an
>> exception for you will help us achieve goals 1-3 above better than not
>> doing so, feel free to make your case.
>
> I am wondering in which category the tmem cleanup patches fall?
>
> They aren't bug-fixes, they could be considered a feature. They were
> posted before the deadline. I posted the GIT PULL (see
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/178043)
> to one of the folks who has write access to the repository (as
> documented in http://www.xenproject.org/governance.html)?

Considering the state of TMEM, I think these could go in at almost
any time. (Btw, I would have committed them already, but wasn't
up to trying out my first git pull from a foreign tree, due to my
expectation of it not going to work as I expect the first time
through, and there's other more important work that needs my
attention first. And of course you sent the pull request to Keir
only anyway...)

Jan