Re: [Xen-devel] xl command autocompletion: domain names

John Haxby writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] xl command autocompletion: domain names"):
> Except that test doesn't seem so easily fooled:
>
> test -f == root && echo oops
> if [ -f == root ]; then echo oops; fi
> if [ -f /etc/passwd ]; then echo phew; fi
>
> At least that's the case for bash; dash doesn't like it.
>
> Still, that's today's new Linux/Unix thing so I'm happy!

What does
  test '(' = ')'
mean ?

bash treats the ( and ) as literals, but it could treat = as the
literal instead.  The grammar in the test(1) manpage I have here seems
to permit both parsings.

I'm sure this is written down in a spec somewhere, but it's hardly
unambiguous or unsurprising.

Ian.