Re: [Xen-devel] xen & MacVtap

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 11:52:23AM +0800, topperxin wrote:

> Hi Wei
>
>      Thanks for your reply, I know you are in charge of porting Virtio to
> xen, how about the process? May we configure Virtio on xen?

I wouldn't say "I'm in charge". That was sort of experimental project
two years ago. And I stopped after that. So my knowledge is in fact
quite out dated.

I tried VirtIO on HVM guest about two months ago. It worked for me.
That's the only thing I'm qualified to say. However Fabio reported it
didn't work for him. So in short your mileage may vary.

>      So far as you said, the MacVtap was written specially for Virtio, other
> virtual NIC driver model can not use it, right?

No, I didn't say that.

>       I get the information from http://virt.kernelnewbies.org/MacVTap
>       "Macvtap is a new device driver meant to simplify virtualized bridged
> networking. It replaces the combination of the tun/tap and bridge drivers
> with a single module based on the macvlan device driver. A macvtap endpoint
> is a character device that largely follows the tun/tap ioctl interface and
> can be used directly by kvm/qemu and other hypervisors that support the
> tun/tap interface."
>        So far as I comprehend, any hypervisors can configure MacVtap so long
> as it can support tun/tap interface, right?  So May I say there is no so
> closely relationship between MacVtap and Virtio , right?

I can't speak for the thing I'm not familiar with. It would make sense
to just try that configuration and see if it works or not.

Wei.