Re: [Xen-devel] incorrect disk numbering with qemu

>>> On 16.01.14 at 16:15, Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> wrote:
> This behaviour was chosen on purpose 3 years ago, knowing that it might
> cause problems to people that try to use xvda and hda in the same
> config.
>
> Why? Because all the alternatives that we considered were far worse.
> You can have fun digging through the archives, you might discover things
> like xvdHD that might have even made it into Linux for a short while.

And IIRC all this was done just because the pv-ops incarnation
of blkfront was stripped off the respective device name mapping
(i.e. if all of what XenoLinux'es blkfront did was properly ported
over, no such behavioral change would have been needed).

(Whether what the old blkfront did was nice is a completely
separate question.)

Jan