Re: [Xen-devel] [TestDay] xen 4.4 FC3 xl create error

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Ian Campbell wrote:

On Tue, 2014-02-04 at 08:26 -0700, Eric Houby wrote:
Xen list,

I have a clean F20 install with the RC3 RPMs and see an error when
starting a VM.  A similar issue was seen with the RC2 RPMs.

Thanks for the report.

[root@xen ~]# xl create f20.xl
Parsing config from f20.xl
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1054:domcreate_launch_dm: unable to add
disk devices
libxl: error: libxl_dm.c:1467:kill_device_model: unable to find device
model pid in /local/domain/2/image/device-model-pid
libxl: error: libxl.c:1425:libxl__destroy_domid:
libxl__destroy_device_model failed for 2
libxl: error: libxl_device.c:780:libxl__initiate_device_remove: unable
to get my domid
libxl: error: libxl.c:1461:devices_destroy_cb: libxl__devices_destroy
failed for 2
[root@xen ~]#
[root@xen ~]# /usr/bin/xenstore-write "/local/domain/0/domid" 0
[root@xen ~]#
[root@xen ~]# xl create f20.xl
Parsing config from f20.xl
[root@xen ~]#
[root@xen ~]#
[root@xen ~]# xl list
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                     0  2047     2     r-----
19.7
f20                                          3  4095     1     r-----
4.1

After running the xenstore-write command VMs start up without issue.

This is a bug in the Fedora versions of the initscripts (or I suppose
these days they are systemd unit files or whatever). The sysvinit
scripts shipped with Xen itself have this write in already.

I am puzzled by this as the systemd files in the Fedora RC3 test build do indeed run
/usr/bin/xenstore-write "/local/domain/0/domid" 0
so I am not sure why it isn't being set in this case. It certainly works for me.

We should probably consider taking some unit files into the xen tree, if
someone wants to submit a set?

I can submit a set, which start services individually rather than a unified xencommons style start file. I didn't find a good way to reproduce the xendomains script, so I ended running an edited version of the sysvinit script with a systemd wrapper file.

Would it make sense to have some sort of configure option tools to choose between sysvinit and systemd?

        Michael Young