Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 xl migrate " htree_dirblock_to_tree" on second host

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 7:35 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I have a host where what I need is to move it from host1 to host2, or
> >> reverse if needed, there's no problem stopping it first, but I guess
> >> this is not what the "migrate" command is used for!

If you just need to migrate an entire VM (memory & disk)  from one host to another,
without using shared storage, then there are several alternatives.
One way is to use DRBD based disk backends (yes they can run on top of a LVM)
and use protocol C (synchronous disk replication) to keep the disks at both hosts synchronized.

Since the disk is always synchronized, you can just use the xl migrate command to migrate
the memory state from one host to another, with very little downtime.

I would suggest reading up on the DRBD documentation regarding xen live migration. IIRC,
their current example is based on xend, but it applies equally well to xl, as xl also supports drbd based
disk backends.

shriram