Re: [Xen-devel] Virtio on Xen

Il 10/02/2014 11:42, Wei Liu ha scritto:
On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 01:19:45PM -0800, Peter X. Gao wrote:
Hi,

        I am new to Xen and I am trying to run Intel DPDK inside a domU with
virtio on Xen 4.2. Is it possible to do this?

Based on my tests about virtio:
- virtio-serial seems working out of box with windows domUs and also with xen pv driver, on linux domUs with old kernel (tested 2.6.32) is also working out of box but with newer kernel (tested >=3.2) require pci=nomsi to work correctly and works also with xen pvhvm drivers, for now I not found solution for msi problem, there are some posts about it. - virtio-net was working out of box but with recent qemu versions is broken due qemu regression, I have narrowed down with bisect (one commit between 4 Jul 2013 and 22 Jul 2013) but I unable to found the exact commit of regression because there are other critical problems with xen in the range. - I not tested virtio-disk and I not know if is working with recent xen and qemu version.

DPDK doesn't seem to tightly coupled with VirtIO, does it?

Could you look at Xen's PV network protocol instead? VirtIO has no
mainline support on Xen while Xen's PV protocol has been in mainline for
years. And it's very likely to be enabled by default nowadays.

Wei.

Regards
Peter