Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC v2 0/4] net: bridge / ip optimizations for virtual net backends

On 15/02/14 02:59, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> From: "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@xxxxxxxx>
>
> This v2 series changes the approach from my original virtualization
> multicast patch series [0] by abandoning completely the multicast
> issues and instead generalizing an approach for virtualization
> backends. There are two things in common with virtualization
> backends:
>
>   0) they should not become the root bridge
>   1) they don't need ipv4 / ipv6 interfaces

Why?  There's no real difference between a backend network device and a
physical device (from the point of view of the backend domain).  I do
not think these are intrinsic properties of backend devices.

I can see these being useful knobs for administrators (or management
toolstacks) to turn on, on a per-device basis.

David