Re: [Xen-devel] [HotSwap] Live Update for Xen

Hey,

[I always wanted to reply to this thread, but then it slipped over and
over, up to now!]

On ven, 2014-01-17 at 14:16 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 14:22 +0100, Ferdinand Brasser wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > My name is Ferdinand Brasser, research assistant at CASED/TU Darmstadt.
> >
> > Here at CASED, we have developed a live updating mechanism for Xen,
> > which we call it HotSwap. Currently we have a prototype for Xen 4.2 and
> > would like to know if there is any interest from the community to
> > integrate our approach into Xen. If so, some advice on how to proceed is
> > welcomed.
> >
> > Our approach to update Xen is - very high level - to load a complete new
> > version of Xen at runtime and then transfer the state of the old version
> > to the new one. Afterwards the execution is continued by the new
> > version. We make use of Xen functions to disable all but one CPU and
> > interrupts during the update process to keep the state consistent while
> > transferring. We have evaluate our prototype with the result that the
> > update process takes about 45ms on our test system.

Wow, 45ms is certainly something bearable for this kind of
operation! :-P

> This sounds pretty cool. I think everyone would be interested in hearing
> a bit more about it and in seeing the code.

I agree... this would be a really great feature to have!

So, any news? Any update? Any plan on following Ian's suggestions to
--at least try to-- upstream it?

Thanks and Regards,
Dario