Re: [Xen-devel] How many patches are missing in upstream Linux?

On 03/06/2014 11:26 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> Being worked on are:
>  - EFI (Daniel Kiper, CC-ed)

This has been a blocker for me. My new laptop is EFI booting, so I
haven't been running Xen on it for the last few months. I don't have
much time for deep work on it, but I'm happy to be a test subject.

>  - perf (Boris Ostrovsky, CC-ed).
>  - user mode accessible PV clock (Boris or me)
I did have some work on this, but I don't remember how far it got. I
think it stumbled on having a mechanism to allow usermode to detect it
had switched physical cpus. Is this a continuation of my patches or a
new attempt?

> The maintainer is being <insert your own opinion here>:
>  - runtime microcode. What I had been told was to use the 'early
>    microcode' mechanism - which is now implemented and Xen can also scan
>    the initramfs to extract the microcode payload and apply it.

I've never got that to work, but ucode=-1 with a microcode.dat multiboot
modules works pretty well.

>    But it misses the important part of server longevity in that the
>    host might be running for years and the microcode might need to be
>    updated during that time. bpetkov wasn't too thrilled about the
>    runtime microcode and I hadn't come back to this yet to figure out
>    what are his exact technical misgivings.

I think, in the end, he (and Ingo) were advocating just doing a full
emulation of the Intel/AMD update mechanism in the set/getmsr PV
callbacks. Which is doable but... well, not pretty. Maybe a new attempt
with get a new reception.