Re: [Xen-devel] Dealing with non-existent BDF devices in VT-d and in the hardware.

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 12:32:31AM +0000, Zhang, Yang Z wrote:
> Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote on 2014-03-18:

> >> But I think user still need to tell which device is buggy manually
> >> and I don't
> > think QEMU or libxl can do it.
> >
> > I think there are two issues here:
> >
> > a) Missing device assigments via groups. That should be done irregardless
> >    if the device / hardware is buggy.
> >

> Yes, this is missing.
>
> > b) Buggy devices like the IDT bridge that I see. That is a seperate issue -
> > and
> >    we just discussion if we want to inject that in the VT-d (or AMD-VI) what
> >    would be the mechanism to do that.
>
> The question is that device 08:00.0 doesn't exist in your platform, you only
> saw the BDF in the DMA transaction. How can you add a non-exist device to a
> group?

Why do I need to add it to a group? The patch I posted (see first email in this
thread)
just made a fake PCI device in the Xen hypervisor. But I don't see libxl nor
QEMU doing any group operations - so why are they required? If I just bundle
all of the PCI devices underneath that bridge to the guest it should be OK,
shouldn't it?