Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 25730: regressions - FAIL

On Thu, 2014-04-03 at 15:28 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 25730: regressions
> - FAIL"):
> > All of these are pretty much the same,
> > 2014-04-02 14:51:42 Z FAILURE: reboot-confirm-booted: wait timed out: stat:
> > cannot stat `/dev/shm/osstest-confirm-booted': No such file or directory.
> >
> > I've eyeballed the logs for a few of them and the update-rc.d of
> > osstest-confirm-booted looked to be successful and from the serial logs
> > it seems like the machines have booted. It's affecting a variety of
> > machines (x86 and arm for a start).
> >
> > None of the changesets under test look very plausible to me, but on the
> > other hand it doesn't smell like an infrastructure issue. THe error
> > message is "cannot stat" not a ssh timeout for one thing.
>
> "cannot state [blah] ENOENT" means /dev/shm/osstest-confirm-booted
> does not exist.  It is created at the end of the boot process by a
> dropping inserted into the init system by osstest, so that osstest can
> avoid starting to use a host before it's properly up.

I know this, I was saying that it was successfully running the stat
command (the result of which was failing to stat), which indicates its
not a problem with ssh or the networking infra etc.

> > I see now that a subsequent run (25733) succeeded. I think I'll put this
> > run down to gremlins...
>
> Maybe something is making the boot process slow.

Sadly there is no logging from the osstest initscript so I can't see
when it started in the serial logs, but assuming it is right at the end
then after sshd there is exim and ntpd. I'm completely prepared to
believe that it's infra then -- either DNS or some other network glitch
which stopped exim from starting promptly from the looks of things:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~xensrcts/logs/25730/test-amd64-amd64-xl/serial-earwig.log
        Apr  2 14:56:43.876721 Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
        Apr  2 14:56:44.404727 Starting MTA:Starting NTP server: ntpd
        Apr  2 14:57:26.894279 <client 0x8061388 connected - now 1 clients>
        (XEN) *** Serial input -> Xen (type 'CTRL-x' three times to switch
input to DOM0)

Ian.