[Xen-devel] ARM: grant table setup

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jonathan Daugherty <jtd@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:37:29 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:37:52 +0000

Hi,

I'm modifying FreeRTOS to run as a Xen guest and I'm working on grant
table setup.  The documentation for the Xen ARM ABI states:

  The grant table is mapped using the HYPERVISOR_memory_op sub-op
  XENMEM_add_to_physmap, passing XENMAPSPACE_grant_table as space
  parameter. The memory range specified under the Xen compatible
  hypervisor node on device tree can be used as target gpfn for the
  mapping.

However, I noticed that there is also the GNTTABOP_setup_table
operation.  The two seem to overlap in things they do (such as growing
the grant table if the request requires it).  Linux appears to use the
physmap operation for ARM ("hvm") guests and setup_table otherwise.
However, early on my implementation called setup_table to very strange
effect (bogus MFNs in the frame_list). Provided that is indeed
inappropriate, would it be reasonable to make setup_table return a
failure status if called for HVM domains?

Thanks,

--
  Jonathan Daugherty
  Software Engineer