Re: [Xen-devel] Release manager for Xen 4.5

>>> On 23.04.14 at 18:17, <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> George has graciously volunteered to hand over the reins for
> doing the release management to me.
>
> He is going to enjoy more of the free time coding and such.
>
> I put on the XenHackathon Wiki an slot to discuss roadmap
> and what we want to have in Xen 4.5 - but we can also start
> discussing it now.
>
> The big question is how long do we want the cycle to be?
> Xen 4.4 was eight months, so
>
>  a) did that work for you?
>  b) If it did not, would you want to be longer (9 months?)
>  c) or shorter (6 months?)

I continue to think that the 9-month cycle was quite okay, but the
8-month one (which was planned to be 6) is fine with me too.

As to features, apart from stuff potentially getting requested by
our customers or partners, I think I'm personally intending to pretty
much stay away from adding new functionality (despite there being
quite a number of things I would want to get done) as long as the
big list of security exceptions in docs/misc/xsm-flask.txt hasn't
shrunk significantly. Considering how long dealing with
XEN_DOMCTL_shadow_op alone is taking (admittedly not the
simplest one to start with), I fear that process will extend over the
entire release cycle, even if I was getting help by others. (And of
course it's of no help that the average turnaround on patch acks/
reviews continues to be way longer than it used to be when Keir
was still actively working on the project.)

Jan