Re: [Xen-devel] What runtime states to be preserved across save / restore?

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 02:42:13PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-04-28 at 14:10 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I'm trying to determine what runtime states to be preserved across
> > save / restore.
> >
> > Things that are randomly generated if not set, definitely want to
> > preserve:
> > 1. guest uuid
> > 2. mac address
> > 3. vtpm uuid
> >
> > Things might change when guest is running, and seem to be worthy of
> > preserving:
> > 1. max memory size
> > 2. target memory size
> > 3. CDROM state
> >
> > As for other things, I think using the stored configurations and let the
> > remote end make its own decision is sufficient.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I think the above looks pretty sensible.
>
> Other things I can think of right now:
>
>       * The devid of each device -- for some classes these can be
>         automatically assigned, I'm not really sure if that needs
>         preserving or not.

I don't think so. The receiving end should make its own decision.

>       * Hotplug of devices more generally

Scripts? If so, they, with the things you mentioned below ...

> The selection of the block device backend is also interesting. If the
> user didn't select then you want to remember that so the other end can
> make its own choice about what is best, but if the user asked for
> something explicit it needs preserving.

... are already in the config file if user ever specifies them, so
they are already preserved.

> But more generally by making a baseline working version of this stuff
> work at all you are also adding the moving parts which we would need to
> fix any bugs which we later discover because we've not preserved
> something.

Sure. Then I will commence with my current list.

Wei.