Re: [Xen-devel] Issues regarding "mem_access: Add helper API to setup ring and enable mem_access"

On 30/06/14 15:12, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> helper API to setup ring and enable mem_access""):

>> the
>> but a

>>> I had convinced myself by reading that they were, but Tamas'
>>> experimental evidence obviously counters that ;-)
>> The "d->is_paused_by_controller" is a boolean, not an atomic count.
>>
>> The second pause doesn't add an extra pause ref to the domain, and the
>> first unpause resumes the domain.
> Which, as you see, is (in the hypervisor) intended behavior. If the
> tool stack wants this to be ref-counted, it needs to do so by itself.
>
> Jan

I can see that it is not the current behaviour, but no indication as to
why it is intended not to be properly recounted.

With memaccess setup like this it is perfectly possible to have multiple
toolstack userspace processes needing to pause/unpause the domain over
small periods to ensure safety.

Refcounting in Xen is the only plausible way of maintaining consistency;
there is no safe way to refcount this in the toolstack.  The patch from
Tanas introduces a TOCTOU race which won't solve the problem in the
general case.

~Andrew