Re: [Xen-devel] xen 4.4.0 unnecessary dependency on Perl

On Mon, 2014-07-28 at 21:25 +0100, Anthony Wright wrote:

> The shell script tools/hotplug/Linux/locking.sh contains a single
> section of 8 lines of perl that causes xen 4.4.0 to be dependent on
> perl, something that isn't mentioned anywhere in the documentation.
> The section of code is trying to deal with a race condition and is
> accompanied by the comment "Perl is very fast so use that".
>
> To me it would seem wise to minimise the number of xen's dependencies
> and so use Python instead or if speed is really important here, a custom
> C program. We have a custom Linux distro that includes xen and to us the
> size of the distro is very important. This single 8 line section of code
> introduces a dependency on Perl and so adds another 10M to 20M.

Please send a patch.

Now that xend is gone Python is reasonably optional as well I think
(it's needed for pygrub but not a lot else IIRC). In the absence of any
other suitable facilities in a base system that might point to a custom
C utility being the best approach, but you should probably wait for
other feedback (from Ian Jackson, CCd, in particular) before picking an
approach.

Ian.