Re: [Xen-devel] [linux-linus test] 30356: regressions - FAIL

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-09-24 at 00:35 +0100, Julien Grall wrote:

> > > Things must work without in guest LPAE too, so something somewhere else
> > > will need fixing.
> > >
> > > Apart from restricting the user in an unwanted way requiring LPAE will
> > > mean that practically no distro installer will work in a Xen guest.
> >
> > Xen does an identity mapping for the host physical address into DOM0
> > for the grant mapping. DOM0 will use a scratch page (see commit 340720b
> > "xen/arm: reimplement xen_dma_unmap_page & friends") and map and this
> > physical address.
> >
> > That means on platform with an address space higher than 32 bits, which
> > is the case on Midway, we have to handle 64 bits physical address in DOM0.
> >
> > With the current implementation in Linux we can only use LPAE when a
> > guest is started. The distro installer will still be able to work with
> > short page table.
> >
> > The drawback is we are requiring LPAE from DOM0 and a different kernel
> > in the guest if the user doesn't want to use LPAE.
> >
> > As the code is already pushed in Linux 3.17, I don't find a simpler
> > solution to fix Linux boot without requiring LPAE.
>
> We will have to try harder then, requiring LPAE simply isn't acceptable
> IMHO.

I agree but the solution is not simple.

With the current scheme we would need to find a way to map pages at
64bit physical addresses in Dom0 without CONFIG_ARM_LPAE. Not sure if
that is possible.

Otherwise we would need to come up with an entirely new scheme.