Re: [Xen-devel] vnuma toolstack extension request

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 06:09:24PM +0200, Dario Faggioli wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >Â Â Â Â Â - Dariof was interested in merging this with his auto NUMA
> >Â Â Â Â Âplacement code.
> >Â Â Â Â Â Â That piece of code does not look simple and I think he
> >Â Â Â Â Âvolunteered
> >Â Â Â Â Â Â to do it.
> >
> Not a piece of cake, definitely, mostly because of the many possible
> ways the two things (vNUMA topology and automatic placement) can
> interact and influence each others.
>
> >Â Â Â Â ÂHowever he has also been busy reviewing Xen RT patches so
> >Â Â Â Â Â Â I figured he hasn't yet done that.
> >
> Exactly. I'm actually mostly done with it, but it needs a bit of
> refining of a couple of rough edges, and for sure some testing, and,
> once posted, integration with the other toolstack changes Elena has done
> while addressing review comments, and then of course re-reviewing.
>
> > Yes, Dario mentioned he will be working on this.
> >
> And I was, but as Konrad guessed, reviewing and testing the RT
> scheduling stuff ate some time.
>
> Also, consider that I'm about to disappear for at least two weeks,
> starting (most likely) from next Monday, for (good :-) ) family reasons.
> That means I probably won't be able to review/help with any future
> version of the series.
>
> Of course I'm no maintainer, I know, so that is not a showstopper
> per-se. I'm just saying I think I could have been of help, while I
> probably won't. :-)
>
> >Â Â Â Â Â - Since it would interact with auto NUMA placement and expose
> >Â Â Â Â Ânew
> >Â Â Â Â Â Â logic in libxl we run in the problem of the 'stable' API
> >Â Â Â Â Âthat we
> >Â Â Â Â Â Â MUST preserve. That is a worry - and will require
> >Â Â Â Â Âscrutinity.
> >
> Indeed.
>
> >Â Â Â Â Â - What is the impact if the toolstack patches go in Xen 4.6?
> >
> FWIW, my personal opinion is that we better actually defer this to 4.6.
>
> > Maybe maintainers will have more info about this. I am only aware of
> > that
> > vNUMA will not be supported by toolstack in 4.5, so some related work
> > will not be merged
> > as vNUMA aware ballooning and HVM support (not sure if the last one is
> > happening though).
> >
> Yes, true, this is a rather basic building block of more general vNUMA
> support. However, this also mean that, even if we merge it, we would
> only have part of the picture in place for 4.5 anyway. I.e., we can work
> on 4.6 to have all the vNUMA bits and pieces, and make a really big fuss
> about that when releasing! :-)
>
> This does not mean I would not have liked to have it there (given all
> the effort that Elena, and recently Wei, put into it), but I guess this
> is how software development work, isn't it? :-/
>
> So, in summary, my take on this is: a lot of progress has been made,
> which was not obvious, at least at some point. It's not yet ready, but
> that only mean 4.6 will be a great release wrt vNUMA!! :-D

Yes! And it will give Elena some time to relax instead of hurridly have
to code and test all of this :-)

Heh, I did code it, but some tests are not really happy )

Elena, I am sorry - but based on the feedback I believe the best
course is to defer this to Xen 4.6.

Well, that is good and bad at the same time :)Â

--
Elena