Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.5 development update (September update). Feature freeze slip by two weeks.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 10:25:42AM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> On 09/25/2014 10:22 AM, Dave Scott wrote:
> >Hi Konrad,
> >
> >On 10 Sep 2014, at 18:05, <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>*  extend the xenstore ring with a 'closing' signal (fair)
> >>   RFC patch posted
> >>  -  David Scott
> >Iâd like to propose an exception for this one. The title is perhaps
> >underselling it: although it is a protocol extension (and hence a new
> >feature) the main motivation is to fix a bug in hvmloader which causes HVM
> >guests to hang during booting on a busy machine. The bug is fairly easy to
> >reproduce with ~200 VMs: youâll probably find at least one failed to boot.
> >
> >The patch set has got to a v4 but needs a little bit of work to clarify the
> >relationship between the closing signal and the existing RESET_WATCHES
> >xenstore protocol request.

It looked (from a brief look) as it has OCaml and I have no experience
with that. Is there somebody who can review it?

I hadn't dug in it to give it yet an opinion (sorry).

> >I may be pushing my luck here :-) but Iâd like to propose an additional
> >exception for a feature not on your list:
> >
> >* xl, libxl: add support for âchannels'
> >
> >This has got to a v6 and I believe the API and implementation is stable. It
> >mainly needs some review of the xl config file parsing changes. This is
> >definitely a new feature and not a bug fix. Iâd mainly like to make the API
> >official so that I can depend upon it in libvirt.
> >
> >Thanks for your consideration!
>
> I think a release exception is like an Acked-by or a Reviewed-by: it applies
> to a specific version of a patch series, not the general idea of the patch
> series.  There's no point arguing for a release exception until you actually
> have an otherwise fully-Acked patch series.

This is going to hard decision. I looked over the patches and while I had minor
comments - the toolstack maintainers MUST also Ack it.

I am not yet sure whether to give it an exception or not so please don't
treat my comments as endorsment - I just needed to understand the code
and think about the ramifications along with the maintainers opionions.