Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC V7 2/3] libxl domain snapshot API design

Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-10-21 at 21:59 -0600, Chun Yan Liu wrote:
> > > Is this operation any different to destroying the domain and using
> > > libxl_domain_restore to start a new domain based on the snapshot? Is
> > > this operation just a convenience layer over that operation?
> >
> > It depends on implementation. It's a simple way to destroy the domain
> > first, then start new domain based on snapshot. But destroying the
> > domain may be not good to user (after xl snapshot-revert, domid is
> > changed.)  and may cause some problem in libvirt (may affect its
> > event handling ?).
>
> I would hope that as part of the implementation libvirt would learn to
> cope with this if it can't already, but it can surely already cope with
> migration and reverting to a snapshot is not so very different.

See. If implemented in this way (destroy domain and restore based on snapshot),
it's better not supply a libxl API. Let xl and libvirt handle that by
themselves.
(Libxl destroys the domain and starts a new domain will cause problem in
libvirt,
libvirt has no idea of the new domain created by libxl internally.)

Thanks Ian. I'll update the doc.

- Chunyan