Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] XEN 4.3.3 - segfault in xl create for HVM with PCI passthrough

Am 04.11.14 um 17:31 schrieb Ian Campbell:
On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 17:14 +0100, Atom2 wrote:
Am 04.11.14 um 16:44 schrieb Ian Campbell:
On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 16:13 +0100, Atom2 wrote:
Otherwise I think the next step would be to downgrade to 4.3.1 and see
if the problem persists, in order to rule out changes elsewhere in the
system. If the problem doesn't happen with a 4.3.1 rebuilt on your
current system then the next thing would probably be to bisect the
issue. There are only 31 toolstack changes in that range, so it ought to
only take 5-6 iterations.
Unfortunately 4.3.1 is no longer available as an ebuild as 4.3.3 seemed
to fix security issues and therefore 4.3.1 has been deleted from the
repos. So it's not straightforward and I need to figure out how to get
the old version back. But I am sure there's a way.

I don't know anything about ebuilds, but if you end up needing to bisect
then building from xen.git might be useful anyway (unless you can get an
ebuild to trivially build some other version).
Before I go down that route would I also need to re-compile xen (i.e. the hypervisor at /boot/xen-4.3.3.gz that's being booted from grub) or only xen-tools? In other words does xen-tools 4.3.1 work with the hypervisor version 4.3.3 under /boot? I wouldn't want to end up with an unbootable system.

In terms of ebuilds: Adding patches to a version is pretty easy as gentoo works from source code. So if 4.3.3 is just different by a number of well defined patches from 4.3.1 then that should be straightforward as applying patches is really trivial.

Thanks Atom2