Re: [Xen-devel] Is: QXL in Xen (busted) Was :Re: Xen 4.5-rc1 update (RC1 is out 2014-Oct-24th)

Il 03/11/2014 17:03, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk ha scritto:
On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 12:05:44PM +0100, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
Il 31/10/2014 15:33, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk ha scritto:
I always posted all versions of the patch in xen-devel, the latest was long
time ago.
Sometimes you need to poke the maintainers. They (at least
I do) have mailboxes so packed that sometimes emails end up
going missing. But I think their arguments is going to be:
lets figure out what is broken before putting this in the source.

.. snip..
Does SPICE always have to be enabled to use QXL?

.. snip ..
Xen with spice full working on both windows and linux (including
save/restore) used for both vkvm and thin client I think would be perfect.
Right. But there is some work needed in that area (figure out what
is happening on Linux).

..snip..
OK, looking at how the driver is setup - it seems that there is an QXL
KMS driver. If you boot without Xorg running but just with in the console
can
you use 'fbset' or any other framebuffer tools (linux-fb-tools)?
That is I am curious to see whether the 'FB' is working properly first
before figuring out whether Xorg is working.

Some tests ago I tried without xorg to see if kernel parts is ok (advice of
other developer) and seems was ok.
What did you test? There is an 'drm-test' tool that was floating around?
(http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm/)

It allows you to run most (if not all) of the Xorg functionality - but
using an tool from user-space - and with much more exposure of what
went wrong.

Could you try the following (without having Xorg in either guest):
  1). Boot up your KVM guest, install said tool - run it. Record what
     works and what does not.

  2). Boot up your Xen guest, and do the same thing.

That should narrow down which of the hundreds' of DRM ioctls is failing
when using spice under Xen. And that ought to help narrow down this further.

I can help you a bit by sending you some debug patches, thought I do
have to warn you that I am under a lot of time-pressure so my response
is not as fast as I would want it to be.

I tested only without xorg, just console with drm without particular tests.

I can't find the drm-test tool you mentioned, is it available in debian
and/or fedora repositories an what is it called?
I also did a quick google search and found only something about wayland and
not about X.org.
I mentioned the URL in the email, but here it is again:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm/

You will need to compile it, etc.

Thanks for your reply, sorry for my late reply, I was busy.
I prepared 2 Trusty (ubuntu 14.04) vm minimal for the tests (one on kvm and one on xen). Started and both arrive to console login successfull and they have qxl kernel module active:

lsmod
qxl
drm_kms_helper qxl
drm qxl,ttm,drm_kms_helper

I downloaded compile and installed mesa/drm from git master brach
./configure
make
sudo make install

After I tried to execute the tests binary I found under test but all fails:
sudo ./modetest
no device found.

sudo ./vbltest
failed to load any modules, aborting.

sudo ./kmstest
main: Could not open device (Operation not permitted)

Same result on both xen and kvm.
Seems that there is any module in mesa/drm about qxl even if kernel modules is present and active and qxl xorg driver use it FWIK.

I did another fast search on google without found how to test qxl drm to find the difference between xen and kvm. Someone can tell me what I must do to take useful data about xen and kvm difference for qxl problem?

I added also spice-devel to cc.

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.