Re: [Xen-devel] xl list -l doesn't work for incoming domain

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 02:05:49PM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-11-10 at 13:54 +0000, Wei Liu wrote:
> > > Can we write a stub json file at the beginning of migrate receive, a bit
> > > like we do on create?
> > >

> > No, we don't generate stub for normal domain at the moment.
>
> Oh, I thought we did.

We only generate stub for Dom0.

> SO what happens if someone runs "xl list" while a domain create is in
> progress?

It works the same as before. The "short" list doesn't relies on
libxl_retrieve_domain_configuration.  Now it's only "xl list -l" doesn't
have output.

> > Whether we should do it or not, it depends on whether we want libxl user
> > to see incomplete (and certainly incorrect) domain configuration. I
> > think not, because libxl user doesn't know how to distinguish stub
> > (invalid) configuration from a valid one.
> >
> > > Otherwise code like xl list is going to have start special casing
> > > domains which have no json, which we've tried hard to avoid I think.
> > >

> > From xl's (and other tools on the same level) point of view, that means
> > invocation of library function fails, which it should always be ready to
> > cope with.
>
> So your opinion is that the bug is the "libxl: error:
> libxl.c:6535:libxl_retrieve_domain_configuration: fail to get domain
> configuration for domain 7" message which should be removed?

I think so. This error message is red-herring. The caller knows best
what to do with the error.

> I'd be happy enough with domain 7 being listed with an empty cfg in that
> case.

OK.

Wei.