Re: [Xen-devel] xl list -l doesn't work for incoming domain

On Wed, 2014-11-12 at 09:48 -0500, Zhigang Wang wrote:
> On 11/12/2014 09:40 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Wed, 2014-11-12 at 09:36 -0500, Zhigang Wang wrote:
> >> Also I want clarify one thing: the @introduceDomain watch is triggered at
> >> the same
> >> time for xm/xend and xl: when VM fully migrated.
> >>
> >> The different between xm/xend and xl is: xend will populate destination
> >> side VM
> >> xenstore entries at the beginning of migration.
> >
> > Do you mean *before* @introduceDomain has triggered?
>
> Yes, from my test. I didn't check the code logic yet.

I think anything which is trying to inspect the state of a domain before
the corresponding @introduceDomain and expecting anything more complex
than the fact of that domain's existence is broken.

IOW the json associated with such a domain should be:
    {
        "domid": 123,
        "config": {}
    }
Or even
    {
        "domid": 123,
    }

No more or less.

> I designed a test: set eth0 to low speed:
>
>     $ ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex half
>
> and then migrate the VM. I can see the watch been triggered very late (couple
> minutes later after migration).

A couple of minutes after *starting* the migration (i.e. the couple of
minutes is just the time taken to migrate) or a couple of minutes after
*finishing* the migration (which would be unfortunate and should be
investigated).

Ian.