Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.5 random freeze question

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Stefano Stabellini
<stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2014, Andrii Tseglytskyi wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Stefano Stabellini
>> <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Is this really 3.8 or 3.18?
>>
>> We have 3.8 in both dom0 and domU
>>
>> > 3.8 is pretty old and doesn't have any of
>> > the fixes to be able to safely do dma involving guest pages to
>> > non-coherent devices.
>>
>> This is a good point. Now we are migrating to 3.12 kernel in dom0. But
>> Android will remain on 3.8. Will it help ?
>> Maybe you can point me to any tree with proper DMA fixes? Note: if you
>> are talking about SWIOTLB - we have your latest one, retrieved from
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sstabellini/xen.git
>> branch:swiotlb-xen-9.1
>
> The last and most stable series is:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=141579241729749&w=2

Thanks  - I'll try this series anyway.

> But thinking more about this, I doubt that it is a dma problem, because
> you would most probably see various kind of error messages, not a
> freeze.

Agree.

>> > Where are you storing the guest disk images?
>>
>> SATA drive, dedicated to dom0, its controller has its own DMA
>
> Are they on file or on lvm volumes?

Images are on file.

Also note - freeze depends on system load. It reproduces more
frequently if I start Android + QNX + all frontends/backends drivers.
Starting Android only without any addition drivers works more less
stable. It looks like issue is reproduced when domU starts in parallel
with backends drivers in dom0.
But the same works fine with old Xen 4.4.

Regards,
Andrii

--

Andrii Tseglytskyi | Embedded Dev