Re: [Xen-devel] Q77 IGD instantly crashes on xen-pciback bind.

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 03:59:49AM -0600, Dr. Greg Wettstein wrote:
> On Nov 23,  4:26pm, Pasi =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=E4rkk=E4inen?= wrote:
> } Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Q77 IGD instantly crashes on xen-pciback bind.
>
> Hi Pasi, hope your week is starting out well, hi to Konrad from Oracle
> as well as I see you included him.

Hello,

> > On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 02:57:14PM -0600, Dr. Greg Wettstein wrote:
> > > Hi, hope the week is ending well for everyone.
> > >
> > > As readers of the list may remember we've kept the ATI primary adapter
> > > passthrough patches current for qemu-traditional on Xen for a number
> > > of years.  Our 'run-passthrough' utility for binding/unbind devices
> > > and running a Windows guest with passthrough have enjoyed a tidy
> > > number of downloads through the years as well.
> > >
> > > We are taking on a passthrough project and in the process upgrading
> > > our infrastructure to 4.4.x.  We also need to take on the issue of
> > > passing Intel IGD adapters through to a windows guest.  We are
> > > currently working on an Intel Q77 (DQ77KB) board in preparation for
> > > moving to Q87 boards.
> > >
> > > The Intel display adapter is showing up as the standard 00:02.0 PCI
> > > device and things go south pretty quickly.  We create a slot for the
> > > device on the pciback driver and as soon as we bind the device the
> > > machine goes out like a light, no logs or diagnostics, just instantly
> > > stone dead.
>
> I'm consolidating your comment from your other response as well so we
> keep this on the same thread.

OK.

> >> As I was walking out the door I remembered I had been delinquent
> >> with information.  The dom0 kernel is 32-bit 3.14.22 straight from
> >> kernel.org under a 64-bit hypervisor compiled from 4.4.1 sources.
>
> > Wow, quite an old thread :)
> >
> > So you're still seeing the same problem with recent Xen/Linux
> > versions..
>
> Yes, the perils of platforming for 7 year field deployments... :-)
>
> I can certainly build up a toolchain against the HEAD of XEN git and
> the most recent release of the kernel if everyone feels that would be
> beneficial.
>
> > This might be a stupid question, but here goes anyway: Do you have
> > serial console set up? And all the debug/verbose options specified
> > for Xen and Linux?
>
> The platform in question doesn't have any serial ports, at least not
> surfaced.  We will need to do a bit of wiring if we need to go in that
> direction.

You mentioned it's Intel Q77 chipset based motherboard..
which means it should have Intel AMT functionality, which provides SOL
(Serial-over-LAN),
which you can use as a serial console for Xen.

There are tools (at least amtterm) that you can use on another box to connect
to the AMT SOL remotely..

> Now that I have the machine in a harness in the lab I will stick a
> '#define DEBUG 1' in the top of drivers/xen/xen-pciback/pci_stub.c
> since that is where the action seems to be going on.
>
> The platform is headed for a measured computing environment so I
> thought there may be some type of conflict with tboot holding a
> reference to the VGA driver but I verified the issue in a straight
> hypervisor boot.
>
> I see that Tiejun Chen from Intel is sorting out issues with respect
> to the need to export the ISA bridge into the device emulator in order
> to support passthrough on these IGD devices.  I bound the 00:1f.0 ISA
> bridge device to pciback and that worked but it did not change the
> behavior of the regression.  When the 00:02.0 device is bound to
> pciback the display is cleared and the machine dies in its tracks.

Yeah, Tiejun is working on upstreaming the IGD passthru patches to
Qemu-upstream.

Qemu-dm-traditional already has (most of) the IGD passthru patches.

Hope that helps,

-- Pasi