Re: [Xen-devel] One question about the hypercall to translate gfn to mfn.

yes, grants don't apply here.

> > - when you say _map_, do you expect this mapped into dom0's virtual
> > address space, or just guest physical space?
>
> Iiuc you don't care about the memory to be visible to the CPU, all
> you need is it being translated by the IOMMU. In which case the
> input address space for the IOMMU (which is different between PV
> and PVH) is where this needs to be mapped into.

it should be in p2m level, not just in IOMMU. otherwise I'm wondering
there'll be tricky issues ahead due to inconsistent mapping between EPT
and IOMMU page table (though a specific attributes like r/w may be
different from previous split table discussion).

another reason here. If we just talk about shadow GPU page table, yes
it's used by device only so IOMMU mapping is enough. However we do
have several other places where we need to map and access guest memory,
e.g. scanning command in a buffer mapped through GPU page table (
currently through remap_domain_mfn_range_in_kernel).

> > - how is BFN or unused address (what do you mean by address here?)
> > allocated? does it need present in guest physical memory at boot time,
> > or just finding some holes?
>
> Fitting this into holes should be fine.

this is an interesting open to be further discussed. Here we need consider
the extreme case, i.e. a 64bit GPU page table can legitimately use up all
the system memory allocates to that VM, and considering dozens of VMs,
it means we need reserve a very large hole.

I once remember some similar cases requiring grabbing some unmapped
pfns (in grant table?). So wonder whether there's already a clean interface
for such purpose, or we need tweak a new one to allocate unmapped pfns
(but won't conflict with usages like memory hotplug)...

appreciate any suggestion here.

> > - graphics memory size could be large. starting from BDW, there'll
> > be 64bit page table format. Do you see any limitation here on finding
> > BFN or address?
>
> I don't think this concern differs much for the different models: As long
> as you don't want the same underlying memory to be accessible by
> more than one guest, the address space requirements ought to be the
> same.

See above.

Thanks
Kevin