Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen 4.5-rc] remus-drbd incompatible with Linux 3.6+ headers

Hi,

å 12/19/2014 05:48 AM, Anthony Korzan åé:
Hello!

I have only managed to get Xen 4.5's Remus "working" on Linux Kernels less than
3.5. The provided remus-drbd, as detailed in docs/README.remus and available
from https://github.com/rshriram/remus-drbd will not compile with Linux Kernels
3.6 and above.

The DRBD you get from https://github.com/rshriram/remus-drbd is DRBD 8.3.11
and this version only compatible with Linux 3.0~3.4, see the table on this page:
http://www.drbd.org/download/mainline/

I'm afraid DRBD 8.3.11 is the only version that you can get Remus work on
currently. In the past, Remus disk replication based on blktap2, but blktap2
is getting deprecated I think, there's no maintainers nor patches recent years.

If you are interest, there's a new FT solution based on Remus:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/COLO_-_Coarse_Grain_Lock_Stepping

This solution use blktap2 as disk replication, and it has lots of patches to
get blktap2 work with xl.

Futhermore, we are working on a better solution on disk replication on both
Remus/COLO. COLO is supposed to get into Xen 4.6.

One of these errors is that remus-drbd uses a two argument version of the macro
kunmap_atomic found in include/linux/highmem.h
This was deprecated and is no longer included in any Kernels above 3.6.

"error: macro "kunmap_atomic" passed 2 arguments, but takes just 1"

Is there a patch available?  If not, what set up do the Remus devs use to test?
  I just need a "stable-ish" platform to modify remus on.

Now I did get Remus "working" on Linux 3.4, Ubuntu 14.04, and the custom
remus-drbd.  The issue I run into is that Remus only plugs and unplugs a few
hundred times until there is a "Connection timeout error."  It could be that I
am using an "old" linux kernel version without much Xen integration, but I'm
stumped about this error:

Can you try to use Linux 3.0 to see if the error still exists?
I will take a look on this problem to see if I can reproduce it.

###
xc: progress: Reloading memory pages: 895015/65536  1365%
xc: Saving memory: iter 1416 (last sent 568 skipped 0): 65536/65536  100%
xc: Saving memory: iter 1420 (last sent 567 skipped 0): 65536/65536  100%
xc: error: rdexact failed (select returned 0): Internal error
xc: error: Error when reading batch size (110 = Connection timed out): Internal
error
xc: error: error when buffering batch, finishing (110 = Connection timed out):
Internal error
migration target: Remus Failover for domain 5
libxl: error: libxl_utils.c:430:libxl_read_exactly: file/stream truncated
reading ipc msg header from domain 5 save/restore helper stdout pipe
libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:129:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: domain 5
save/restore helper [-1] died due to fatal signal Broken pipe
libxl: warning: libxl_dom.c:2015:domain_suspend_done: Remus: Domain suspend
terminated with rc -3, teardown Remus devices...
Remus: Backup failed? resuming domain at primary.
xc: error: Dom 5 not suspended: (shutdown 0, reason 255): Internal error
libxl: error: libxl.c:505:libxl__domain_resume: xc_domain_resume failed for
domain 5: Invalid argument
###

Sincerely,
Anthony