[Xen-devel] <summary-1> (v2) Design proposal for RMRR fix

Thanks Jan/George/Tim for your valuable inputs. To make discussion more
efficient, let's do a summary for previous discussions and remaining opens
here:

--
1) 'fail' vs. 'warn' upon gfn confliction

Assigning device which fails RMRR confliction check (i.e. intended gfns
already allocated for other resources) actually brings unknown stability
problem (device may clobber those valid resources) and potentially security
issue within VM (but not worse than what a malicious driver can do w/o
virtual IOMMU).

So by default we should not move forward if gfn confliction is detected
when setting up RMRR identity mapping, so-called a 'fail' policy.

One open though, is whether we want to allow admin to override default
'fail' policy with a 'warn' policy, i.e. throwing out confliction detail but
succeeding device assignment. USB is discussed as one example before
(hack how it works today upon <1MB confliction), so it might be good to
allow enthusiast trying device assignment, or provide flexibility to users
who already verified predicted potential problem not a real issue to their
specific deployment.

I'd like to hear your votes on whether to provide such 'warn' option. If
final decision is 'no', that actually simplifies later design and please skip
1.1) and jump to 1.2). otherwise 1.1) is the next open to be considered.

--
1.1) per-device 'warn' vs. global 'warn'

Both Tim/Jan prefer to 'warn' as a per-device option to the admin instead
of a global option.

In a glimpse a per-device 'warn' option provides more fine-grained control
than a global option, however if thinking it carefully allowing one device w/
potential problem isn't more correct or secure than allowing multiple
devices w/ potential problem. Even in practice a device like USB can
work bearing <1MB confliction, like Jan pointed out there's always corner
cases which we might not know so as long as we open door for one device,
it implies a problematic environment to users and user's judge on whether
he can live up to this problem is not impacted by how many devices the door
is opened for (he anyway needs to study warning message and do verification
if choosing to live up)

Regarding to that, imo if we agree to provide 'warn' option, just providing
a global overriding option (definitely per-vm) is acceptable and simpler.

--
1.2) when to 'fail'

There is one open whether we should fail immediately in domain builder
if a confliction is detected.

Jan's comment is yes, we should 'fail' the VM creation as it's an error.

My previous point is more mimicking native behavior, where a device
failure (in our case it's actually potential device failure since VM is not
powered yet) doesn't impact user until its function is actually touched.
In our case, even domain builder fails to re-arrange guest RAM to skip
reserved regions, we have centralized policy (either 'fail' or 'warn' per
above conclusion) in Xen hypervisor when the device is actually assigned.
so a 'warn' should be fine, but my insist on this is not strong.

and another point is about hotplug. 'fail' for future devices is too strict,
but to differentiate that from static-assigned devices, domain builder
will then need maintain a per-device reserved region structure. just
'warn' makes things simple.

for Xen hypervisor it's clear to follow 1) conclusion, either only 'fail'
or to favor admin decision. that's fair since it's where assignment
actually happens.

for hvmloader, same puzzle on static vs. hotplug also exists. it can just
'warn' RAM conflictions since if any confliction exists on RAM previous
Xen hypervisor will catch it to block or warn. hvmloader can just focus
on avoid its own allocations and PCI BAR to avoid confliction, and 'fail'
if any problem.

--
2) RMRR management

George raised a good point that RMRR reserved regions can be maintained
in toolstack, and it's toolstack to tell Xen which regions to be reserved. When
providing more flexibility, another benefit from Jan is to specify reserved
regions in another node (might-be-migrated-to) as a preparation for migration.

When it sounds like a good long term plan, my feeling is that it might be
some parallel effort driving from toolstack experts. Xen can't simply rely
on user space to setup all necessary reserved regions, since it violates the
isolation philosophy in Xen. Whatever a toolstack may tell Xen, Xen still
needs to setup identity mapping for all reserved regions reported for the
assigned device.

So I still prefer to current way i.e. having Xen to organize reserve regions
according to assigned device, and then having libxc/hvmloader to query
to avoid confliction. In the future new interface can be created to allow
toolstack specific plain reserved regions for whatever reason to Xen, as
a compliment.

--
3) report-sel vs. report-all

report-sel means report reserved regions selectively (all potentially-to-be
assigned are listed for hotplug, but doing this is not user friendly)

report-all means report reserved regions for all available devices in this
platform (cover hotplug w/ enough flexibility)

report-sel is opted by Jan from start, as report-all leaves some confusing
reserved regions to end user.

otoh, our proposal seeks report-all as a simplified option, because we don't
think user should set assumption on e820 layout which is the platform
attribute and at most it's similar to a physical layout.

first, report-all doesn't cause more conflictions than report-sel in a
reasonable
thinking. virtual platform is simpler than physical platform. Since those
regions
can be reserved in physical platform, it's reasonable to assume same reservation
can succeed in virtual platform (putting 1MB confliction aside .

second, I'm not sure to what level users care about those reserved regions.
At most it's same layout as physical so even sensitive users won't see it as
a UFO. :-) and e820 is platform attributes so user shouldn't set assumption
on it.

there's a mixed mode to have report-sel for static and report-all for hotplug.

so this is another open w/ clear options but welcome more people to help draw
a conclusion!

--
4) handle conflictions

there are several points discussed.

Jan raised a good point that reasonable assumption can be made to avoid
split lowmen into scattered structure, i.e. assuming reserved region only
<1MB or >host lowmem. Scatter structure has an impact on RAM layout
sharing between domain builder and hvmloader, and further per George's
comment impacting qemu upstream. By doing that reasonable assumption
domain builder can arrange lowmem always under high end reserved
regions and thus preserve existing coarse-grained structure w/ low/highmem
and mmio hole. definitely detection will still be done if a reserved region
breaks that assumption but no attempt to break guest RAM to avoid confliction.

following that hvmloader changes would become simpler too, with focus on
BIOS/ACPI and PCI BARs.

other two ideas from Jan. One is to move more layout stuff (like PCI BAR, etc.)
into domain builder however per discussion it's not simple and as long as
hvmloader still allocates gfns then it still needs handle confliction anyway.
The other is to let libxc only populate a small RAM necessary to bring up
hvmloader and then have hvmloader do the bulk populating. again, such
change is not small and earlier suggestion on lowmem assumption is more
reasonable.

--
(there are other good comments which are either small/clear or next level
detail associated with above major opens. will include them in next version

Thanks
Kevin