Re: [Xen-devel] MTRR and cache programming in Xen

Hi all,
I apologize for giving the wrong impression. While I agree that I was trying to avoid going through the source code. I had previously looked online and found that that Xen did not support MTRR. I guess that is true. Anyways, thanks for the feedback. I should be more careful in asking question in the mailing list. :) Probably culturing a bad habit due to overuse of stackoverflow.com, which thrives on this model. :)

Thanks and Regards,
Ayush Ruia.

Regards,
Ayush Ruia.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 4:36 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2015-01-12 at 19:59 -0600, ayush ruia wrote:
> Hi all,
> Hoping that you could answer a few of my queries regarding cache
> properties for Xen.
>
> Is there any support from Xen for supporting MTRRs or any similar
> caching mechanisms such as PAT? How does Xen handle I/O ranges because
> different memory regions may have different caching requirements and
> any domU can be allocated I/O regions? Is the control on x86 only on
> individual page basis? How does that reflect in terms of Intel VT-x
> and Intel VT-d extensions and VMCS structures?
>

> Any pointers regarding the above will be very helpful and highly
> appreciated.

grep'ping for some of those keywords in the Xen source code and search
for "Xen $keyword" on a search engine should give you a reasonable
starting point.

See also http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Asking_Xen_Devel_Questions

Ian.