Re: [Xen-devel] how to generate a smaller core with xm dump-core

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 10:14:12AM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-01-16 at 16:39 +0800, Zhenzhong Duan wrote:
> > I am thinking if port some code from makedumpfile is possible and
> > acceptable.
>
> makedumpfile appears to be GPL, whereas libxc is LGPL, so if you wanted
> to port code directly you would need permissions from the copyright
> holders to re-license.
>
> I think we would be OK with you reimplementing some of the techniques
> within tools/libxc/xc_core*.c though, so long as you don't copy actual
> code. Obviously just improving that code without reference to
> makedumpfile is fine too.
>
> I don't think we need or want yet another tool for doing this in the
> code base though.
>
> Another option would be for you to add Xen support to makedumpfile,
> you'd want to speak to the maintainers of the tool about that though.

In general most of Xen related functionality is in place. There are some
issues when you try to use non common things. Once I though about extrating
makedumpfile's core functionality to a library (so file) in makedumpfile
project itself (IIRC, somebody dicussed this topic on kexec list, but
in another context, a few months ago) and then linking xl stuff with it.
Now it is more hand waving and I have this thing on my TODO list but right
now I have more important things to do. So, this is a quite far future work...

Daniel