Re: [Xen-devel] (v2) Design proposal for RMRR fix

>>> On 18.01.15 at 09:58, <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> still one open to hear suggestion though, regarding to how we want
> to pass the reserved regions to domain builder and hvmloader (for Xen
> we will extend related assignment hypercall to include per device override).
>
> one simple solution is to extend xc_hvm_build_args and hvm_info_table
> to include specified regions, with the limitation on defining a fixed
> number (possibly use E820_MAX as a reasonable assumption)

As said (in other contexts?) a couple of times recently - I think we
should try to avoid altering struct hvm_info_table if at all possible.
It should really only be used for information that cannot be passed
by any other means between the involved components.

> another option is to place the information in xenstore which is more
> flexible. However domain builder doesn't use xenstore right now (suppose
> extending use xenstore is not complex?)
>
> or any other thought to be evaluated?

What's wrong with attaching them to the domain with a domctl, and
having a suitable "normal" hypercall (along the lines of
XENMEM_reserved_device_memory_map, just that this one would
need to be domain specific) for the domain (including hvmloader) to
retrieve it?

Jan