Re: [Xen-devel] New IOREQ type -- IOREQ_TYPE_VMWARE_PORT

On 01/30/15 05:23, Paul Durrant wrote:
> [...]

This does look very doable.  The only issue I see is that it requires
a QEMU change in order to work.  This would prevent Xen 4.6 from using
QEMU 2.2.0 and vmport (vmware-tools, vmware-mouse).

What makes sense to me is to "invert it"  I.E. the default is to send
IOREQ_TYPE_VMWARE_PORT via io_range, and an ioreq server can say stop
sending them.

The reason this is safe so far is that IOREQ_TYPE_VMWARE_PORT can only
be sent if vmport is configured on.  And in that case QEMU will be
started with vmport=on which will cause all QEMUs that do not support
IOREQ_TYPE_VMWARE_PORT to crash.

>> I think it would not be that hard.  Will look into adding it.
>>

>> Currently I do not see how hvm_do_resume() works with 2 ioreq servers.
>> It looks like to me that if a vpcu (like 0) needs to wait for the
>> 2nd ioreq server, hvm_do_resume() will check the 1st ioreq server
>> and return as if the ioreq is done.  What am I missing?
>>

> hvm_do_resume() walks the ioreq server list looking at the IOREQ state in the
> shared page of each server in turn. If no IOREQ was sent to that server then
> then state will be IOREQ_NONE and hvm_wait_for_io() will return 1 immediately
> so the outer loop in hvm_do_resume() will move on to the next server. If a
> state of IOREQ_READY or IOREQ_INPROCESS is found then the vcpu blocks on the
> relevant event channel until the state transitions to IORESP_READY. The IOREQ
> is then completed and the loop moves on to the next server.
> Normally an IOREQ would only be directed at one server and indeed IOREQs that
> are issued for emulation requests (i.e. when io_state != HVMIO_none) fall
> into this category but there is one case of a broadcast IOREQ, which is the
> INVALIDATE IOREQ (sent to tell emulators to invalidate any mappings of guest
> memory they may have cached) and that is why hvm_do_resume() has to iterate
> over all servers.
>
> Does that make sense?

Thanks for the clear info.  It does make sense.

   -Don Slutz