Re: [Xen-devel] Guidelines for new PV protocol submission

On Mon, 2015-02-09 at 13:59 +0200, Vitaly Chernooky wrote:

> Guys, what do you think about using an Interface Description Language
> such as Google Protocol Buffers or something like?

After a bit of googling and reading it seems like Google Protocol
Buffers includes a specific wire encoding, a la ASN.1 or CORBA, whereas
we need to be able to describe existing binary formats.

I haven't evaluated the suitability for new PV protocols, but it seems
like Protocol Buffers are not really intended for shared memory
protocols (rather network transparent ones). Perhaps I'm wrong though, I
just had a quick look.

Ian.