Re: [Xen-devel] dom0 kernel - irq nobody cared ... the continuing saga ..

>>> I don't really know how this code is supposed to work (we don't use
>>> it in our kernels), but it seems the more interesting question is what
>>> happens when xen_pcibk_do_op() calls this function. I also note there
>>> is a sysfs interface to control some aspects of this, but I can't see how
>>> that would work when it only sets ->isr_on but doesn't install the IRQ
>>> handler if it isn't already installed.

>>Suse is still forward porting and not considering upstream/pvops ?

> We're preparing to switch, but we aren't there yet.

>>So this one is up to Konrad i guess ...

> Indeed.

>>I haven't checked the call chain of xen_pcibk_do_op .. but that could be a
>>side effect of libxl not imitating pci-front good enough (since HVM guests
>>don't use the pci-front driver, but instead rely on libxl and Qemu to play
>>those parts.

> I thought the frontend functionality was entirely in qemu. Does this behave
> identical between qemu-trad and qemu-upstream?

AFIAK yes, just tested and also with qemu-trad the xenstore front end pci entry
stays state "1" .. and therefor pciback doesn't get further then state "3".

qemu doesn't do xenbus itself (at least not for pci)
libxl isn't notified by qemu that the device is setup (nor has the functionality
in place to actually change the xenstore entry for this case)

So nothing happens.

>>One of the issues i already mentioned that devices never get to the state
>>connected, for HVM guests. The backend state stays 3 (XenbusStateInitialised)
>>and the frontend state stays 1 (XenbusStateInitialising).

> That sounds wrong too - not sure from where this state are driven for
> pcifront (see above).

For pv-guests, pci-back and pci-front mostly do there own dance driven by those
xenbustate changes. Libxl for PV guests even waits for the xenbusstate to
become
"4" aka connected in libxl_pci.c.

For HVM guests it's really up to libxl at the moment, but it lacks in multiple
fashions. (probably it worked with xend but these things didn't get ported
properly to libxl yet, probably because from a glance everything seems to work
fine).

But when you try to mimic it by hand after the guest has started
(just write to the xenstore entry with xenstore-write and up it from state "1"
to state "2" or state "3", with:

xenstore-write /local/domain/1/device/pci/0/state 2
or
xenstore-write /local/domain/1/device/pci/0/state 3

You will notice xenpciback responds, but it tries to read some pci-front config
directly, but that fails since there is no pcifront connection.
[  926.050193] xen-pciback pci-1-0: fe state changed 3
[  926.050964] xen-pciback pci-1-0: Reading frontend config
[  926.051189] xen-pciback pci-1-0: 2 Error reading configuration from frontend

So that should probably be skipped.

with:
xenstore-write /local/domain/1/device/pci/0/state 4

we get:
[ 1053.062003] xen-pciback pci-1-0: fe state changed 4

Now the "root" pciback entry state is also changed to 4 ..
however the individual device entries underneath are still state 3.

Apart from that most of the xenstore-watches in the code seem to be on that
root
entry and not on the individual devices, which is probably going to lead to
problems when only removing one of the passed through devices from a given guest
(when the rest would be working properly).

So it's a multi-headed beast .. and i don't know if the way it's put together
and if the limited available states (and the limitation of xenstore-watches)
are actually enough to make this work properly.
The only spec about which side is supposed to do what when (and what
when it fails) ... seems to be the xen-pciback and pci-front code.

Not to mention backward compatibility (it's broken but it does work)

So it is far above my limited c-skills (i'm able to read to a certain extent
but not write)
and lack of knowledge about the libxl-ishms with respect to timeouts callbacks
and all that kind of stuff.

--
Sander