Re: [Xen-devel] Vmap allocator fails to allocate beyond 128MB

On 16/02/15 10:17, Vijay Kilari wrote:

Hello Vijay,

>   For ThunderX/arm64 this issue needs to be fixed.
> Could you please comment on this?

AFAICS, x86 is also using a 1G area for the vmap. Does it mean that x86
never use vmap for more than 128M?

> I could think of below
>
>         1) Add new call for ARM under CONFIG_ARM_32/CONFIG_ARM_64
> in vm_init() and manage map_pages_to_xen(va, 0, vm_low - nr, MAP_SMALL_PAGES);
> with different function call for arm that would not make any pte
> entries for vm_bitmap pages.
> This avoids change to x86
>
>         2) Remove map_pages_to_xen(va, 0, vm_low - nr,
> MAP_SMALL_PAGES) from vm_init
> and add new architecture specific for initializing vm_bitmap pages.
> But this touches
> x86 code.

I don't know which approach is the best, and I though you already talked
about it with Jan... But in general a generic approach is better than a
per-architecture solution.

Regards,

--
Julien Grall