Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] native python Xenstore module

On Wed, 2015-02-25 at 09:39 +0000, Simon Rowe wrote:
> On 24/02/15 16:41, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > Are/were you aware ofhttps://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyxs  which sounds
> > like something similar, judging from its blurb alone?
>
> No, I wasn't. It certainly looks a more solid implementation than mine.

https://github.com/selectel/pyxs seems to be the real upstream, pypi
seems a bit behind.

> > https://launchpad.net/pyxenstore/  might be too, although I don't know if
> > that one is pure python.
>
> This looks to be just a higher level C to python interface than
> xen.lowlevel.xs.
>
> > Anyhow is your intention to have this added to the xen.git tree, perhaps
> > even replacing tools/python/xen/lowlevel/xs/ or just to gather feedback
> > on some code destined for an external project?
> I was interested in feedback about having implementations such as these
> more easily consumed by guest distros. At present using something linked
> against libxenstore.so requires Xen tools to have been built
> (obviously).

Yes, I can see that being rather annoying to have to arrange.

>  If there are already serviceable implementations available
> (which it appears there is) then the best policy is probably to
> encourage distros to package and include them.

I think that's probably the best approach.

(https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=692516 for Debian)

> > Personally I don't see a problem with including it in tree, replacing
> > xen.lowlevel.xs might require thinking a little about API compatibility,
> > which might be a pain...
> pyxs even has a compat interface.

Neat!

Since today happens to be a doc day I've updated
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XenStore_Reference to point to pyxs (and nuked
a load of old xend related stuff).

/me ponders "git rm tools/python/xen/lowlevel/xs" ;-)

Ian.