Re: [Xen-devel] Xen's Linux kernel config options

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 12:01:31PM +0000, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2015, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 7:21 AM, Stefano Stabellini
> > <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Having xen_guest_init() on x86 would be nice.  Being able to set
> > > xen_domain_type to XEN_HVM_DOMAIN if we are running on Xen, regardless
> > > of XEN_PV/PVH/PVHVM also makes sense from Linux POV.
> >
> > OK great, thanks for the feedback.
> >
> > > That said, I don't see much value in removing XEN_PVHVM: why are we even
> > > doing this? What is the improvement we are seeking?
> >
> > We would not, the above discussed about the possibility of letting
> > users enable XEN_PVHVM without XEN_PVH, that's all.
>
> OK, that makes sense.
>
> > As is the only thing that can enable XEN_PVHVM is if you enable
> > XEN_PVH.
>
> This is the bit that we need to change but it shouldn't be difficult.
>
> > If we want
> > xen_guest_init() alone though we might need the decoupling though at
> > least at build time so that if XEN_PV or XEN_PVH is not selected we'd
> > at least have XEN_PVHVM. Thoughts?
>
> Today pv(h) and pvhvm have very different boot paths already: pv and pvh
> initialize via xen_start_kernel while pvhvm via xen_hvm_guest_init.

Ah I see, this helps a lot thanks!

> They are already very decoupled. You just need to make sure that
> init_hvm_pv_info() is called regardless on any XEN_PV/PVH/PVHVM configs.

I'm a bit confused about this given that as I see it right now
init_hvm_pv_info() is the Xen x86_hyper->init_platform() callback and that is
only called on init_hypervisor_platform() *iff* x86_hyper->detect() passed
(returned non-zero), but xen detect() returns 0 in the PV case:

static uint32_t __init xen_hvm_platform(void)
{
        if (xen_nopv)
                return 0;

**      if (xen_pv_domain())
**              return 0;

        return xen_cpuid_base();
}

To be clear that is when xen_domain_type == XEN_PV_DOMAIN, and that should only
ever happen when xen_start_kernel() gets called prior to xen_hvm_platform().

Since as you note xen_start_kernel() should only be run for XEN_PV and
XEN_PVH, that is in essence the "PV"iness of the guest -- the Xen
hypervisor will look for this via the ELF entry note and kick it off
upon guest start via the hypervisor launch_vm(), otherwise we'd boot the kernel
through the usual means and init/main.c --> start_kernel() will evetually call
setup_arch() and in the end init_hypervisor_platform().

I see no way then in which init_hvm_pv_info() would be called for XEN_PV
and XEN_PVH. In fact should we not be able to just BUG_ON(xen_pv_domain())
above?

 Luis